Tony’s passion is to help clients integrate social and environmental issues into their core business strategies for increased reputation gain and market share. He works with chief sustainability officers and executives in a variety of industry sectors including apparel, food and beverage, telecommunication, transportation, healthcare and finance.
For 18 years, Tony lived and worked in Washington, DC, in both the government and private sector. On Capitol Hill, he worked for Senator Edward Kennedy from Massachusetts and Illinois Representative Terry Bruce. Tony also worked for a major education and healthcare association where he helped to advance their agenda on Capitol Hill and with the administration. These experiences provide a unique perspective on the intersection of government, business and society.
In 2000, Tony moved his family to St. Louis where he joined the global headquarters of Fleishman-Hillard International, leading the firm’s Corporate Social Responsibility specialty practice group. He provided strategic advice and counsel to a variety of international and global companies, including AT&T, Enterprise Rental Car and Emerson Electric. He also led the firm’s research on consumer attitudes towards corporate social responsibility, an initiative co-sponsored by the National Consumers League. He joined VOX Global in 2008.
Tony is frequently asked to speak at conferences on corporate citizenship and sustainability and frequently publishes articles on the role of business in society. Tony also co-authored “Sustainability for Business: A New Global Challenge,” a featured chapter in The Handbook of Strategic Public Relations and Integrated Communications, published by McGraw-Hill. The chapter is a roadmap for companies looking to integrate sustainability into their business operations. He also contributed to a 2009 Corporate Eco-Forum published report on sustainability, “Show Me the Money: The Business Case for Sustainability.”
Tony has a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Missouri-St. Louis and a Master of Arts degree in Public Policy from the Eagleton Institute of Politics at Rutgers University.
An aging athlete, in summer months you’ll find Tony hitting baseballs, chasing fly balls, and applying ice bags, Ben Gay and popping Advil to reduce the pain on his throwing arm and knees after every game. You’re also likely to find him at various Bruce Springsteen concerts across the U.S. He’s been known to overlap Springsteen’s tour schedule with client meetings.
Tony is a Fellow with the Center for Sustainability at Saint Louis University, a board member with Sustainable St. Louis and serves on the Mayor of St. Louis’ task force on sustainability.
- Making the Pitch: Selling Sustainability From Inside Corporate America
- Milton Friedman, RIP: Building the Bridge Between Profit and Purpose
- Finding Common Ground on Climate Change in the New Congress
- 4 Ways to Flip the Switch on the Climate Change Debate
- Show Me the Money: Demonstrating Green Business Value to Skeptics, by P.J. Simmons
- The Handbook of Strategic Public Relations and Integrated Communications, by Clarke Caywood
- Washington University in St. Louis Office of Sustainability
- St. Louis University Center for Sustainability
- Webster University – Sustainability@Webster: The ROI of Sustainability: Making the Business Case – Spring 2011
- 2011 – Net Impact Conference: Past and Future of Sustainable Supply Chain Management: A Critical Reflection
- 2010 – Midwest Energy and Climate Policy Conference: Emerging Transportation, Fuel Choices and Clean Cities Initiatives
- COP-15 in Copenhagen
- 2009 – Business for Social Responsibility
Sustainable St. Louis: http://stlouisgreen.com
St. Louis Sustainability Task Force: Mayor of St. Louis Sustainability Initiative